Three levels of reading
This is the first reading after the drafting of a text, usually done on Word software. We focus mainly on the following elements:
- solving problems with syntax, grammar, and spelling
- identifying Gallicisms, inaccuracies, and outdated language
- ensuring consistency and clarity
- improving style
- correcting punctuation
- checking proper names, bibliographic references and links, toponyms, conversion of units of measurement (at the client’s request)
This involves reviewing a text after it has been laid out in graphics software (proofreading on PDF) or after it has been put online. In theory, the content has already been revised (see above). The proofreader will make sure to:
- spot any typos
- identify any remaining inconsistencies
- validate typography, layout, and visual elements
- check the table of contents, indexes, captions, and other references for internal
Comparison of language versions
You have made minor changes to the original version of a text that need to be reflected in the translation you already have. Or perhaps you want to validate a third-party translation. Comparative reading is the best approach.
How much does it cost?
The revision rate is usually an hourly rate. It ranges from $60 to $75 per hour. The following factors are taken into account when establishing the quote: deadlines, technical difficulty of the text, work to be done according to the client’s instructions, volume, and the initial quality of the text submitted. For a general text of acceptable quality, the rate is approximately 1,000 words per hour.
Revision or adaptation?
When it is necessary to rework a text, to reorganize the content, to suggest additions or deletions, to point out inconsistencies and ambiguities between the ideas stated, to ensure that it reads smoothly, to rewrite segments, or to simplify for a general audience, we are talking about adaptation/optimization.
Our team of language professionals
combines the skills and expertise of 15 translators, 3 revisers, 3 writers . . . and a host of partners with whom we have preferred agreements to meet your needs in multiple languages.